St. Joseph School Nablus

Historical Overview of the School

The building of the Latin Patriarchate School was established in 1904 by the Maronite nuns. The idea emerged when the nuns were traveling from Jerusalem to Nazareth and encountered people in Nablus suffering from eye diseases caused by the prickly pear plant. They decided to take a house and initiate a clinic to treat people under their supervision. They began treating sight and hearing impairments with the help of specialized nuns at nominal prices, often providing assistance free of charge. They gained the love and respect of the people over time.

As days passed, they started teaching women embroidery, piano playing, and the French language. The city residents trusted them and sent their daughters to the nuns when it was nearly impossible for girls to leave their homes at that time. The townspeople began pressuring for the establishment of a school run by the nuns, following the example of other cities. The school started from kindergarten to the sixth primary grade, excelling in teaching English and French in addition to Arabic.

The general administration of the Latin Patriarchate Schools took over the management of the school in 1998. They opened new classes and first equipped a computer lab and a library, responding to the increasing number of students, the quality of education, and the parents' desire to have their children continue in the same school until graduation.

Over time, the pressure to open higher grades increased. In fact, the school itself was not prepared to accommodate large numbers of students, leading to the use of the nuns' house and the conversion of the kitchen, health units, and corridors into classrooms. The current number of students is 650 boys and girls. The general administration is in the process of constructing a new and modern school due to the school's reputation and the intense demand for it, in addition to the community's interest in its development.

Contact Us